Tuesday, October 6, 2009

PLN13

In the article "The pen may be mightier than the keyboard" by Joel Schwarz, he states that kids writing with a pen and paper are better than those writing with a keyboard. I personally do not agree with this study. I believe that it is a total personal preference. Writing when I was younger was bad because I would spend too much time trying to be neat instead of making sense of what I was writing. I would get confused and then end up erasing and re-erasing to edit what I had written. With typing, I can type out whatever I am thinking at the time and then go back as many times as I need to to edit. I also don't have to worry about trying to read my own writing and figure out what I was trying to say. I think it is important to be able to write with a pen, whatever it may be and not totally rely on the computer, but I prefer the computer because it is easier to do just about everything that goes along with the writing process.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Ethan I'm Dan (your mentor). Nice analysis. There are pros and cons do both tools, but when it comes down to it personal preference is the answer. In your opinion, what are some pros and cons for both tools (the pen and the computer)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm your other mentor, Danielle! I think you did a great job on this entry. I have to admit, I would always get caught up on how messy my writing was too, but as I mentioned to Eduardo, you also have to keep in mind that there are many distractions on a computer. With a pen and paper it is just you and your thoughts. Do you think there are any ways that you could take the good things of each and put them together somehow? For example, maybe making jot notes on a pen and paper to focus your ideas and then typing the report out on the computer.

    ReplyDelete